The average mainstream lipstick can contain a bucket load of toxins – Aluminium helps stop colours from bleeding, Titanium Oxide is used as a whitening agent to soften reds to pinks, and Lead is often used to add sparkle to glosses and to help them stick.
Lipstick and glosses are often ingested over the course of the day so the impact of toxins is heightened above and beyond skin absorption levels. And while the lead exposure from lipsticks isn’t considered to exceed the recommended exposure levels for adults, no amount of lead exposure is considered safe for children – who often play with make-up!!
It’s easy to use a safer alternative by choosing a balm or gloss that is chemical-free and those that contain organic ingredients. Check the labels and apply minimally.